Catch the last of the summer days with our guide to getting outside, having a picnic and of course, eating and drinking!
FIND THE BEST LOCATION
Lucky for us, we have so many incredible picnic spots scattered in and around Sydney and Melbourne that offer the perfect backdrop for a summer picnic. From expansive gardens to secluded beaches and vibrant pockets of native bushland the locations are endless for a long and leisurely meal in the outdoors. Check out Sydney’s Best Picnic Spots and if you’re in Melbourne here are our top 5 spots: St Kilda Botanical Gardens, Edinburgh Gardens, Fairfield Park Boathouse, Albert Park and Moonlight Creek Picnic Area.
WHAT TO EAT
You need food that’s not only delicious but also easy to carry. Here are our recommendations for a picnic basket:
- Fresh bread at any picnic is a must. Our go-to is the Miche loaf from Sonoma.
- Your favourite cheese deserves a spot in your picnic basket. Opt for both a hard and soft cheese.
- Ham off the bone sourced from your local butcher or closest supermarket
- Sopressa salumi (either mild or spicy…or both!)
- Cornichons soaked in vinegar. They’re delicious either on their own or added to the sandwich mix!
- Condiments: think wholegrain mustard, garlic aioli and hot sauce for the spice fiends.
- Sausages/your favourite cuts of meat if you’re going to a place that has BBQ facilities.
- Strawberries, pineapple and naval oranges are just some of the fruits that would make for a delicious addition (*hint* make your life that little bit easier by cutting it up and refrigerating in advance).
WHAT TO DRINK
- Milla Cordial – we love this artisan cordial. Sourced from Orange in NSW, it’s made using Aussie fruit and Australian bush ingredients. Think delicious flavours like Lemon, Lemon Myrtle & Kakadu Plum and Apple, Ginger & Rosella.
- Soda Press Co. Grapefruit Soda Syrup – just add soda water to enjoy this artificial free, low sugar beverage on a sunny day outdoors. We’re loving the grapefruit flavour.
- Signor Vino Rose – if you’re after something a little boozy at your summer picnic, rosé is the perfect accompaniment to a gourmet packed lunch. Bright and berry driven, this Australian made vino makes for an ideal companion to a day spent by the ocean ($20.00/bottle).
- Summer six pack - if you can't decide what to drink, we're still offering our summer six pack which includes a carefully curated selection of whites, reds and rose for just $130.
So what are you waiting for? Soak up the last of the summer rays and experience the great Aussie outdoors.